My clients always ask me about false eyelash application and options simply because there is a very thin line between fabulous and terrible. As many clients would say… “I don’t want too look like a prostitute!”
So here are some of my secrets:
1. First of all, more expensive is not always better! My makeup kit is primarily MAC, but when it comes to lashes, I have found the brands like above, Salon Perfect or Ardell to be amazing! There are so many size variances and shapes when it comes to an eye, so selecting the correct size is critical. Any lash that is too long or heavy looking can literally age someone 10 plus years. The point of a false lash is to define and accentuate the eye and often when a lash does not fit the eye properly, it can actually drag the face down as opposed to giving it an open eyed, fresh appearance.
2. Most lashes, despite the brand, whether purchased from Sally’s or another beauty supply store are categorized by the same number or name and if they are not, you can still find the exact same lash, it just may be called something different. For example the style “Demi 101” may be the exact same lash but in different packaging from a different company.
3. Some of my favorite style #s for a bolder look are: Demi 101 and 102, and 105. For a very natural look, I like 53 (pictured above) and 110. These are style numbers from Salon Perfect, but may be the same for another brand as well. If not, bring you favorite pair of lashes when you shop next and compare style numbers to brands so you know in the future what your go to’s are.
4. Lashes are the very last piece or makeup to apply (other than lips). Curl your lashes and apply mascara FIRST. You can even heat up your eyelash curler with your blow dryer to give them a bit more of a curl. Make sure to test the heat of the curler on your wrist before applying to the eye area- it can get very hot quickly!
5. Apply false lashes after this. If you have the right style # for your eye shape, they will blend flawlessly and you do not need to apply mascara to the actual false lashes. By doing it this way, the look will appear more natural. Or you can apply a little mascara to the tips of the falsies. Just be cautious of them looking clumpy. Clumpy and thick is not a youthful look!
6. Lastly, the false lash must be directly in the lash line or will not look or feel right. This is the hardest part to achieve when doing it on your own. I suggest prior to starting your makeup, you measure the false lashes’ width compared to your eye. You will want to cut off any excess lash width. it is better to have them be too short width wise versus too long or they will not sit properly on the eye!
Best of luck! Remember, less is usually more. The purpose of false lashes is to provide YOUTH!